Sunday, November 4, 2007

Steaming into Sutton (2) - Waiting at Walmley




After some coffee and cereal nourishment, I zipped over to Walmley (near the start/end of the Sutton Park line) for the second leg of the tour which ran between Birch Coppice and Ironbridge (!).
As I waited on the footbridge a chap walking his dog asked if anything special was due, I told him to expect a Pannier Tank out working on the main line and due through in 10 minutes or so - he hurried off to a nearby field to get a good view, hope he made it !
After a photostop further back at Coleshill the train appeared in the distance crossing from the single line at Park Lane Jn onto the double track, bang on time at 1127, and now running bunker-first.
No.9466 was then working hard as she made her way along the mile or so of straight track towards me, passing the old goods yards at Penns, where a housing estate is now screened by huge conifers (at right in the photo's).

Then it was a sprint to the car and a 2 mile drive down to the old Sutton Town station site where the loco was to be watered...

2 comments:

BEN CRUACHAN said...

Now thats what I call On The Beast!

GWR55 said...

I know that the utility pipe spoils the shot a bit, but there's something about that bridge that I like !!